Funding and Study Abroad

Study Abroad Funding.  The department strongly encourages its students to undertake a semester and / or a summer or more abroad, in order to gain fluency in their primary non-English language, to learn another language, or to pursue further study in the literatures and cultures of these languages.  Many opportunities are available for study abroad; it is wise to devote real time to reading all of the information assembled by the Office of International Programs

Study Abroad for a Semester or a Year.  Most students choose to study abroad for a single term during the junior year, but a full year abroad is also possible.  Two courses per semester abroad may be used to fulfill departmental requirements.  Guidelines are available in Princeton’s Office of Study Abroad.  The Office of International Programs maintains a list of Approved Semester and Study Abroad Programs, including those in EuropeAfrica, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, Middle East and North Africa, and Australia and New Zealand.

Summer Study Abroad. There are numerous opportunities for summer study abroad, some partially supported by University funds.  A summer abroad can substantially increase fluency in the language of concentration, and on occasion satisfy the departmental requirement of reading knowledge in a second non-English language.  Interested students should consult both Princeton Summer Abroad Study Programs and the individual language and literature departments.  PIIRS, the Fred Fox Fund, the Dean’s Fund for Study Abroad, and the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) Fund offer funding for summer study abroad.  Funding opportunities through Comparative Literature are described below.

Summer Work Abroad. Princeton offers excellent work abroad programs; interested students should consult the Summer Work Programs, including Princeton-in-France, Princeton-in-Asia, and the Summer Work Abroad in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.  The International Summer Internship Program site also provides information by region.

Summer Thesis Research Funds.  Juniors in Comparative Literature may apply for funds to conduct senior thesis research over the summer from the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR).  Applications are typically available in early March at their website, and are due in late March. You are also encouraged to apply for The Carpenter Family funds, these funds are used for summer research related to arts-related projects. Please apply here -  Applicants must provide a research proposal, a detailed budget, and an evaluation from a potential senior thesis adviser. 

Departmental Funding.  The Department of Comparative Literature has limited funds to be awarded on a competitive basis both to sophomores intending to major in Comparative Literature, and to juniors already enrolled in the program.  These funds are intended to offset either the cost of formal summer language program, or the expenses associated with junior paper research.  The funds may be used in the United States or abroad.  Applicants are expected to seek out University funds as well.

The department also has limited funds to be awarded on a competitive basis to offset the costs of senior thesis research and occasionally junior paper research (for the JP2) either in the United States or abroad.  Applicants are expected to seek out University funds as well.

To apply for COM funding, please send an email to the current DUS, Undergraduate Administrator and Department Chair with the following information:

1. A rationale for the funding (why you need to make the research trip and what you will be doing there)

2. A line by line budget that includes the following information:

- Round trip airfare (lowest estimate for coach fare)

- Lodgings

- Per diem expenses (maximum $40/day for travel in the US, $50/ day for international travel; receipts required)

- Fees for entry to museums, archives, collections, live performances, etc.

3. If you plan to access libraries/ archives/ museums, provide relevant information as to open to public hours of operation or email from relevant person at the institution guaranteeing you access to the collection(s) in question on the dates you'll be there.

4. Keep in mind: If you plan to interview people, you must follow university protocol. See

If your request is provisionally approved, the undergraduate administrator will set up a "funding opportunity" on SAFE. (COM funding does not automatically appear on SAFE - it has to be set up on a case by case basis.)Students applying for departmental funds should refer to this link:

Application deadline: To Be Announced - For research to be conducted during the winter break/ intercession, the deadline will usually fall just before the Fall Break.